Reasons you should be talking about green beans
Most people don’t get overly excited about green beans, but you should. Not only are green beans a great source of Vitamin B, Vitamin C and Beta-Carotene, but, they are also linked to both cardiovascular and diabetes benefits. Healthy, delicious and one of the only beans you can eat raw, we wanted to give you 5 reasons why you should be talking about green beans.
1. Did you know? You can enjoy green beans while supporting food sustainability! Recent surveys have shown that 60% of all commercially grown green beans are produced in the United States, with large amounts of green bean acreage found in the states of Illinois, Michigan, New York, Oregon, and Wisconsin. Although countries like France, Mexico, Iraq, and Argentina are large-scale producers of green beans, there is plenty of this delicious vegetable available in our own backyard.
2. Frozen green beans are picked at the peak of freshness and frozen soon after picking, so the nutrients and flavors are locked in. In 1998, the US Food and Drug Administration confirmed that frozen produce provides the same essential nutrients and health benefits to the body as it’s fresh counterpart.
3. Green beans have recently been shown to have impressive antioxidant capacity. Research comparing the overall antioxidant capacity of green beans to other foods in the pea and bean families (for example, snow peas or winged beans) has found green beans to come out on top.
4. Green beans may be a particularly helpful food for providing us with the mineral silicon. This mineral—while less well known than minerals like calcium and magnesium—is very important for bone health and for healthy formation of connective tissue. Green beans have recently been shown to stack up quite well against other commonly-eaten foods as a good source of absorbable silicon.
5. There are more than 130 varieties of green beans that differ in taste and in the color and size of pods, and all of them have different healthy benefits. While we normally think of the stereotypical green “string bean” don’t discount the other varieties!
With all of their healthy benefits and so many varieties it is no wonder that green beans have a special place in our heart. Whether frozen, canned or fresh, they are a healthy and delicious part of any balanced diet. If you are running out of creative green bean recipes, no worries, let us help!